STEVE, I WANNA SAY THANK YOU, FOR ALL YOU'VE DONE FOR ME


“Steve, I wanna say thank you, for all you’ve done for me.” 

That line is from the song “Aloha Steve and Dano,” by the goddamn mighty Radio Birdman. It’s about Hawaii Five-O, but over the course of the past week, my brain has repurposed that particular lyric, because Steve Albini died unexpectedly on May 07, 2024. I never met the man, and yet I owe him so much. 

I first heard Big Black sometime in high school. Up to that point, I only knew Albini as the outspoken recording engineer that helmed Nirvana’s In Utero, but after reading about the band in some random music publication, I bought a copy of their second and final album, Songs About Fucking

I was not ready for that shit.


Songs About Fucking was caustic on a level that my teenage mind couldn’t even begin to comprehend. Listening to it kinda felt like your brain was being scrubbed with steel wool. The feeling was not a pleasant one, and I sold the CD after letting it languish on my shelf for a while. 

I came around on Big Black eventually (oddly enough, I prefer their first album, Atomizer, which is way gnarlier sounding), but Big Black wasn’t the only game changing band Albini was a part of. Not long after my first uncomfortable dalliance with the infamous Chicago trio, I came across a review of At Action Park, the debut album from Albini’s then-new project Shellac, and decided to give it another go. Shellac was a much easier pill for me to swallow and I found myself listening to it often, as I still do to this day. 

Shellac ended up being the Albini project that stuck with me the most. Something about their minimalistic yet abrasive approach to heavy rock really struck a chord and was a refreshing respite from the metal and punk that dominated my listening. Albini’s genius as a musician became readily apparent in much the same way his genius as a recording engineer had become apparent when I listened to albums like the aforementioned In Utero, or The Jesus Lizard’s Liar.


Songs About Fucking (even though I didn’t like it back then) and At Action Park both played an extremely important role in opening me up to underground music. Indeed, those initial brain-mangling listens ultimately prepared me for the likes of Naked City, Merzbow, Melt-Banana, Wolf Eyes, Abruptum, Today is the Day and all sorts of far-out shit. I didn’t fully realize it at the time, but Albini’s music went a long way towards molding me into a lover of all things noisy and angular. 

Albini passed away just a little over a week before the release of To All Trains, Shellac’s first album in a decade. While I’m utterly devastated by the loss of an artist that was so significant in shaping way I listen to and think about music, I can’t help but look forward to what is sure to be one last dose of brilliance from him. It’s going to be a bittersweet listen, to say the very least. 

I’m terrible at ending these things, so I’m just gonna end it by paraphrasing the way I started it. Thank you Steve, for all you’ve done for me and for thousands (millions?) of others. See you in Valhalla.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MY NOISE ORIGIN STORY

TWO MEN AND A NOISE ALBUM

TIME IS RUNNING OUT. NOISE IS MUSIC.